Sunday, August 18, 2013

7 Months+30 Books

"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." Oscar Wilde

When you read you can learn anything.  When you read you are educating yourself.  Banish the phone that is quickly taking control of our entire life and pick up a real, honest to goodness, smell-the-ink book. and. read.  The act of reading isn't hard except that it forces us to turn off the relentless thread of info.  Not that the internet is bad by any stretch (I'd be really lonely right now without it) but to be able to carry on a conversation without someone glancing down at their phone would be refreshing. *wink*

So here's what I've decided.

I'm going to read.

7 months+30 books

My sibs are starting school back tomorrow and for the first time since I was five years old I'm not joining them.  Since we just moved I'm starting college in January which means that I'll have some free time besides the time I'll hopefully spend working.  Those are valuable months in a season of my life that I'll never get back again so I want to do something fun and worth while that I can look back on with satisfaction.

Anyone want to join me?  Not that you have to read 30 books but if you'd like to make an extra effort to read I'd love to hear about it!! Please send me your book suggestions!

Grab the button


2 months into it and I've read several books.  I really need to get a move on.  With us finally getting settled in our house I plan on piling up on the library books.

Here's a short review of the first book I read.

1 {The Giver by Lois Lowry}
“The life where nothing was ever unexpected. Or inconvenient. Or unusual. The life without color, pain or past.”  

This book brought the reality of euthanasia startlingly to life.  Life was only life if society said it was life.  It complimented a book I read in school this year Whatever Happened to the Human Race by Francis Schaeffer and C. Everett Coop.  This book made me cry.

No one had any choice in what they did or how they lived.  Life was completely ordered.  Babies and the elderly and no choice in the matter of life and death.  There was no choice in what job you held.  No choice in who you married.  The reason behind this idea is that it caused no pain.  No pain, confusion, or inconvenience.  Life was perfectly ordered and under control.  The feeling of being safe was paramount to all other desires.  But there was also no love, memories, music, color, or taste.

Not what I'd call a fun read but a well thought out book discussing the basic needs of human society.

This book isn't too long and is very thought provoking.

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars :)



No comments:

Post a Comment