Sunday, January 12, 2014

What If You Could Live Forever?

Tuck Everlasting
By Natalie Babbit
 
Book #1
 
 
The first book completed in my 50 Books In 2014 Challenge is Tuck Everlasting.
It was relatively short, 139 pages.  It's been one of those books that I've meant to read for a while but never got around to it.  I'm very glad I picked it up again because its a beautiful story and is written in a very cozy, yet straightforward and matter-of-fact way.  I found a homey little paperback copy at the library with an illustration of Winnie on the cover holding her toad.  I really love the black boots she's wearing by the way...
 
 
For a slim book it packs a hard punch.
 
 
The heroine, ten-year-old Winnie Foster, is a sheltered and thoughtful child who wanders into the wood near her home and finds a beautiful boy drinking from a stream.  Through a series of events she meets the boy, Jessie's, family, the Tucks, and must make a choice of whether to live a normal life...or drink from the stream that offers immortality?
 
Quote of Note:
“You can't have living without dying. So you can't call it living, what we got. We just are, we just be, like rocks beside the road.”  
 
 
Would I choose to live forever on this earth until the end of time if I could?  A part of me would certainly like to do so.  I'm in the prime of youth but I'm sure that would get tiresome after a while.  How awful it must be to out live all of your contemporaries.  One of the most basic parts of life is the passage of time, what must it be like to be out of it? 
 
My great uncle went to be with Jesus yesterday morning.  He has begun to fully live forever.  With his parents, his brothers and sisters, and his Lord.  It's going to so terrific to live forever with the people we love, in a place that is more gloriously beautiful and exciting than we can imagine, in the presence of our greatest Love for all eternity.
 
Thoughts anyone?
 
 
{Books I Want to Read}
 
The Good Earth
Holes
1984
Catching Fire
The Entrepreneur Mind
 


No comments:

Post a Comment